The Sybase Match Play Classic hasn’t started, but the advantage already belongs the long hitters on the LPGA Tour.
More than nine inches of rain fell on the Hamilton Farm Golf Club last month and the hilly course became even wetter on Monday and Tuesday. To make matters worse, there’s more heavy showers predicted on Wednesday.
2011 SYBASE MATCH PLAY CHAMPIONSHIP
A field of 64 will complete in the second edition of the Sybase Match Play Championship at Hamilton Farm in northern New Jersey.
REVIEW HAMILTON FARM
Hamilton Farm Golf Club is the venue for the Sybase Match Play Championship this week. Have you played it? If so, click on its name to write a review of your experience. Also, be sure to check out our PGA.com Course Guide to review all the courses you've played and to find the perfect course for your next round.
The draw for the 64-player field was held at a press conference Tuesday with the top 32 players in the 64-player field drawing a golf ball to determine who they would face. A designated official drew for players not at the conference.
Top-seeded Na Yeon Choi of South Korea drew Catriona Matthew of Scotland, the No. 39 seed, in the $1.5 million event.
“I just hope I play better than last year,” said Choi, who lost in the opening round.
Not all the top seeds were lucky in the draw, though.
Second-seeded Jiyai Shin was paired with No. 33 seed Meena Lee in a match involving South Korean players.
Third-seeded Cristie Kerr was not in the press center and was paired against fellow American Amanda Blumenherst, the No. 48 seed. Kerr showed up minutes later and asked to make her own selection. It was denied.
No. 4 seed Yani Tseng of Chinese Taipei, the LPGA Tour’s leading money winner this year and the No. 1 player in the world, had the best draw, getting a match with No. 63-seeded Marcy Hart.
The course, though, is going to be a test due to the soggy conditions limiting the distance that the ball will roll. Long-hitting Brittany Lincicome practiced on Tuesday and was wary about the course.
“It’s definitely going to be on the long hitters’ side,” she said. “I played nine holes this morning and with just the little rain we had this morning, No. 18, I could not get to the other side of the water and had to lay up short of the water. It was just a lot of longer irons into the greens than what we are used to.”
Lincicome then smiled and said a player never knows what they will get from match play.
“If you are not on top of your game every day you’re not going to keep going,” she said. “Or you play (lousy) and it depends on what happens that day. In match play, you never know.”
Several friends were paired in opening-day matches. Australian Karrie Webb (No. 23) and Sarah Kemp (No. 50) were paired, and rookie Belen Mozo (No. 64), who was given a sponsor’s exemption, drew fellow Spaniard Azahara Munoz (No. 30), last year’s rookie of the year.
No. 5 Suzann Pettersen drew No. 63 Natalie Gulbis, No. 9 Michelle Wie will play No. 38 Beatriz Recari of Spain, No. 10 Paula Creamer is paired against No. 57 Aree Song of South Korea, and defending champion Sun Young Yoo of South Korea will play No. 54 Grace Park. Yoo is No. 16.
Single rounds will be played on Thursday and Friday with double rounds on Saturday and Sunday.
Here are the first-round matches:
(1) Na Yeon Choi vs. (39) Catriona Matthew
(2) Jiyai Shin vs. (33) Meena Lee
(3) Cristie Kerr vs. (48) Amanda Blumenherst
(4) Yani Tseng vs. (62) Marcy Hart
(5) Suzann Pettersen vs. (63) Natalie Gulbis
(6) Ai Miyazato vs. (34) Hee Young Park
(7) In-Kyung Kim vs. (51) Mindy Kim
(8) Song-Hee Kim vs. (42) Sophie Gustafson
(9) Michelle Wie vs. (38) Beatriz Recari
(10) Paula Creamer vs. (58) Aree Song
(11) Inbee Park vs. (44) Stacy Prammanasudh
(12) Katherine Hull vs. (37) Shanshan Feng
(13) Morgan Pressel vs. (61) Julieta Granada
(14) Amy Yang vs. (47) Kyeong Bae
(15) Brittany Lincicome vs. (46) Wendy Ward
(16) Sun Young Yoo vs. (53) Grace Park
(17) Mika Miyazato vs. (52) Alena Sharp
(18) Angela Stanford v. (36) Candie Kung
(19) Jee Young Lee Vs. (60) Hee Kyung Seo
(20) Maria Hjorth vs. (40) Seon Hwa Lee
(21) Stacy Lewis vs. (59) Katie Futcher
(22) Jimin Kang vs. (57) Chella Choi
(23) Karrie Webb vs. (50) Sarah Kemp
(24) Anna Nordqvist vs. (56) Haeji Kang
(25) Karine Icher vs. (54) Paige Mackenzie
(26) Christina Kim vs. (35) Brittany Lang
(27) Kristy McPherson vs. (41) Hee-Won Han
(28) Vicky Hurst vs. (45) Amy Hung
(29) Juli Inkster vs. (49) Jenny Suh
(30) Azahara Mnoz vs. (64) Belen Mozo
(31) M.J. Hur vs. (55) Mi Hyun Kim
(32) Se Ri Pak vs. (43) Karen Stupples