Iberdrola Open canceled due to lack of sponsor, Madeira event takes spot

Darren Clarke at the 2011 Iberdrola Open
Getty Images
Darren Clarke's victory at the 2011 Iberdrola Open led to one of the most memorable seasons of his career.
By
Bernie McGuire
Associated Press

Series: European Tour

British Open champion Darren Clarke and Javier Ballesteros, the son of the late Seve Ballesteros, have been denied the chance to compete in Mallorca because the Iberdrola Open in May has been canceled.

The Iberdrola Open was to take place from May 10-13, but Keith Waters, the chief operating officer with the European Tour, said it couldn't survive without a sponsor and has been removed from the schedule.

"It's just a reflection of the tough economic times everyone is facing at present," Waters said.

The Maderia Islands Open in Portugal has been moved to replace the Iberdrola Open.

Clarke's three-shot success at Pula Golf Club last year ended a three-year winless drought and eventually led to success two months later in the British Open at Royal St. Georges.

Ballesteros, the 21-year old son of Seve Ballesteros who plays off a handicap of 0.0, was invited by tournament host Jose Maria Olazabal to tee it up as an amateur on the one-year anniversary of his father's passing.

"It's a bit disappointing as I was looking forward to playing in Mallorca," Ballesteros said.

Ballesteros, whose younger brother Manuel plays off a handicap of 3.5, indicated he has two years remaining for a law degree and will then consider whether he will turn professional.

"I'm still not sure what I am going to do," he said. "I am playing some amateur tournaments in Spain and I will probably play about 10 big amateur tournaments this year."

Despite being a son of one of the greatest golfers, Ballesteros indicated he feels no such pressure when competing.

"No, I feel no pressure on me and for the moment I just try to go out there and play for fun," he said.