Dustin Johnson and Zach Johnson had been scheduled to play in this week's Ballantine's Championship, which is set to return as usual to Incheon, South Korea, near Seoul. But early this morning, event organizers announced that the two PGA Tour stars had decided to stay home.
"They have reached this decision following perceived unrest on the Korean peninsula," the tournament said in a statement, reiterating that the event would proceed on schedule. "Ballantine's has been kept fully up to date on relevant issues and the European Tour has also been liaising with key decision makers, including the Foreign Office, who have not warned of any increased risk to those travelling to or within the country."
Tensions have risen in that part of Asia in recent weeks after the United Nations imposed further sanctions on North Korea for planning to go ahead with tests involving its nuclear program and its rocket program.
On Sunday, a South Korean news agency reported that North Korea had moved short-range missile launchers to its east coast, apparently indicating it was pushing ahead with preparations for a test launch, according to Reuters.
It would be "a stupid idea" to play at Ballantine's Championship, Spanish star Alvaro Quiros said earlier this month, announcing the change in his plans.
"I'm not going to play in Korea," the six-time European Tour winner said at the time. "I don't think it's a good moment to go there – it would be a stupid idea with the way things are. I don't want to mess with my life just to play in a golf tournament."
Dustin Johnson played the Ballantine’s in 2011 but missed last year with a back injury. Zach Johnson would have been playing his first pro event in Asia.
As things stand now, world No. 7 Louis Oosthuizen of South Africa will be the highest-ranked player in the field. Former PGA Champion Y.E. Yang, 1999 British Open winner Paul Lawrie and former European Ryder Cup player Paul Casey are also still scheduled to play.
PGA Tour player James Driscoll grew up in the Boston suburb of Brookline, Mass., and lives in downtown Boston – about two blocks from where the twin bombs went off during the Boston Marathon.
Driscoll wasn't home on Monday; he was practicing down in Florida. He had thought about going home for the Patrriots’ Day festivities, but decided not to.
And now he's raising money for those affected by the bombing. Driscoll has pledged $1,000 for each birdie he makes this week in the RBC Heritage and at the Zurich Classic next week.
He got off to a nice start on Thursday, carding four birdies in an opening round of 3-over 74.
"I'll be happy to write a big check for this," he said on Thursday at Hilton Head.
"It was pretty traumatic a day or two after," Driscoll said. "A lot of my friends are still shaken up by it. It really hits home when it's that close to where you live."
The money he raises will go to the Boston One Fund, an organization set up by Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Tom Menino.
Driscoll says he appreciates the support that people everywhere are showing for Boston and its citizens, and he has no doubt the city will recover.
"Boston people are strong and they're for sure going to bounce back," he said.
He hasn't asked his fellow PGA Tour players for donations, just to help get the message out about raising funds.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Adam Scott is cooling down this week in the wake of his Masters victory. But if answers his phone, he might just find the folks from ''The Bachelor'' on the other end of the line.
Yup, ''The Bachelor'' is ''definitely going to pursue'' the 32-year-old Australian with the brand-new green jacket, according to a report on EOnline.com.
No meetings have yet been set up, a ''Bachelor'' source told EOnline, ''but we're trying. He could be a perfect fit.''
Other potential bachelors also are being considered, the report said. ABC, which airs the show, said it doesn't comment on casting rumors.
Would Scott take ''The Bachelor'' up on its offer? That's up to him. But, given the fact that almost every woman we know already has a crush on him, we don't think he needs any help in the dating department.
Spending last week at Augusta National was apparently just the start of the fun for Chinese teenager Guan Tianlang.
Guan's father celebrated his birthday on Sunday, and the youngster gave him the silver cup he received as low amateur at the Masters. Happy birthday, Pops – you'll always remember this one!
On Monday, Guan accepted a sponsor invitation to play in next week's Zurich Classic in New Orleans. Guan, it turns out, actually spent a month in the New Orleans area last year and has practiced at Lakewood Golf Club, not far from TPC Louisiana, the host venue for the Zurich Classic.
And on Tuesday, he attended his first NBA game in Atlanta, where he saw the Hawks take on the Toronto Raptors.
After he finished his final round at the Masters on Sunday, Guan said he planned to hit the books and catch up on a little schoolwork. I haven't seen any indication as to when he might be headed back to the public school he attends in China.
And while we're talking about ''the Kid,'' the nickname by which he became known at the Masters, did you know that he had no three-putts at Augusta and nothing worse than a bogey on his scorecard?