As of right now, Adam Marcoulier is the clubhouse leader for brother-of-the-year honors.
Golf Digest writer John Strege shared the story of Adam Marcoulier's high school graduation gift to his younger brother, 18-year-old Nate of Leominster, Mass., an avid golfer.
On April 22, a few days after watching the Golf Channel documentary "Arnie," Adam, 21, a keen golfer himself, wrote a letter to Palmer on behalf of Nate, asking if he "could possibly write Nate a letter wishing him good luck in college and providing him some advice along the way."
He could not have known that he would get so prompt a response from a man who receives thousands of requests annually, eventually responding to all of them. The letter he sent to Nate was dated May 23, one month later.
Here's the tweet Nate sent out of the letter from Palmer, along with a heartfelt shoutout to brother, Adam:
And here's the advice Palmer doled out:
- Courtesy and respect are timeless principles, as well as good manners.
- Knowing when to speak is just as important as knowing what you say.
- Know how how to win by following the rules.
- Know the importance of when and how to say thank you.
- Never underestimate the importance of a good education.
Has the game ever known a better ambassador than the King?