Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving our wonderful country. It's also a day to thank those in the Armed Forces, who sacrifice so much so that we can enjoy the freedom we have... like going out to play golf whenever we want.
From those of us at PGA.com, a big thank you goes out to all our military for the incredible work you do to keep us safe.
A Quick Nine
Each week, the editors of PGA.com post a question on the PGA.com Facebook fan page to create a discussion for our, 'A Quick Nine,' feature. The best answers we receive from our readers are then used to write the story.
In the spirit of Memorial Day, we asked our PGA.com Facebook friends to tell us: How did your golf course/golf group commemorate the day?
For instance, Patriot Golf Club in Owasso, Okla., hosted the third annual Patriot Cup. A number of Tour players and celebrities were on hand, including the likes of Rickie Fowler, Tom Lehman, Corey Pavin, Maj. Dan Rooney, Vince Gill, Craig T. Nelson, Brandon Weeden and more. The popular band Rascal Flatts even performed at a dinner gala for the event.
Below are the best answers we received.
9. "Darlington Country Club... Red, White & Blue Scramble... Six holes from red tees, six from white tees and six from blue tees." -- Derick A. Pindroh
8. "TPC Sugarloaf in Duluth, Ga., had a member's red, white and blue event. Preceding the event, there was a speech by a wounded warrior to players. The wounded warrior, who has a complimentary membership to TPC Sugarloaf, also played in the event." -- Josh Nichols
7. "Flag day event for all members at Renaissance in Haverhill, Ma. Raised $1,500 in donations for Wounded Warrior Project." -- Phillip Johnson
6. "Bentwinds Golf and CC in Fuquay Varina, NC... annual Flag Tourney -- Using full handicap, play until reaching the number of strokes equaling par, plus your handicap... One with the most holes played wins!" -- Joe Sheets
5. "At Hanging Rock in Roanoke, Va., all active military played for free. Anyone who wore red, white, or blue paid the weekday rate instead of holiday rate. And if you bought any shirt with red, white or blue in it, you got second shirt free." -- Chip Sullivan
4. "Pomperaug Golf Club (Southbury, CT) had its annual Memorial Day ABCD scramble. Lots of good golf, great food and fabulous fun!" -- Dana Mullady McKinney
3. "With a 40 percent discount on green fees for the day." -- Calvin Smith
2. "U.S. Flags for the flags on every hole." -- Roy Forgy
"We put American Flags on all 18 of our pins! Everyone loved it!" -- Maple Creek Men's Club
"American flags on all pins. Glencoe Country Club, Glencoe, Minn." -- Jim Murphy
"At San Antonio Country Club we had every pins flag replaced with American Flags and created stands to rest the pin on so the flag would never touch the ground." -- Benjamin Farley
"Sandy Ridge Golf in Midland, Mich. American flags on top of the pin, with a stake in the ground to hold the flag up from touching the ground." -- Brandon Maciejewski
"American Flag pin day at Meadowlark in Huntington Beach, Calif., with stands at greenside to make sure our precious flag did not touch ground. Blue tees all the way back, and an absolutely gorgeous day, shot 81, not bad for a 14 handicapper." -- John Gordon Hicks
1. "I spent the day at The Patriot Cup in Owasso, OK. It was a great day to honor those who paid the ultimate price. The field had big stars including Rickie Fowler, and benefitted the Folds of Honor Foundation!" -- Randy Wheatley
"The Patriot hosted The Patriot Cup; there is nothing better than spending Memorial Day at this Tournament!" -- Mike Daggett
"Played in the third annual Patriot Cup at the Patriot Golf Club in Owasso, Oklahoma. That event and course were outstanding! A 'Top Gun' event!" -- Le Ann Finger