Note: All contestants in the Championship (except international players) must be a PGA of America member in good standing.
1. All former PGA Champions
2. Winners of the last five Masters (2007-2011)
3. Winners of the last five U.S. Opens (2007-2011)
4. Winners of the last five British Opens (2007-2011)
5. The 2011 Senior PGA Champion
6. The 15 low scorers and ties in the 2010 PGA Championship
7. The 20 low scorers in the 2011 PGA Professional National Championship
8. The 70 leaders from the PGA Championship Points list from the 2010 World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational through the 2011 Greenbrier Classic, ending July 31.
9. Members of the 2010 United States and European Ryder Cup Teams providing they remain within the top 100 of the World Golf Rankings as of July 31, 2011.
10. Winners of tournaments co-sponsored or approved by the PGA Tour from the 2010 PGA Championship to the 2011 PGA Championship (does not include pro-am and team competitions).
11. Vacancies will be filled by the first available player from the list of alternates (those below 70th place in the PGA Championship Points list from the 2010 World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational through the 2011 Greenbrier Classic, ending July 31).
12. In addition, The PGA of America reserves the right to invite additional players not included in the categories listed above. The total field will be a maximum of 156 players.