PGA of America History - 1960-1969

  • 1960:
    • Executive Secretary Thomas W. Crane receives new five-year contract.
  • 1961:
    • National offices move from 2,500 square feet on second floor of bank building in Dunedin, Florida, to larger offices comprising approximately 7,000 square feet.
    • Paul Runyan (PGA Champion 1934, 1938) wins his first PGA Seniors Championship, while Buck White sets a tournament record for the lowest round with an opening 63.
  • 1962:
    • PGA sells its holdings in Dunedin Isle Golf Club back to the city for $50,000 in anticipation of move to Florida East Coast.
    • Gary Player becomes the fifth foreign-born PGA Champion.
  • 1963:
    • Jack Nicklaus wins his first PGA Championship.
  • 1964:
    • Horton Smith Trophy donated by the PGA Advisory Committee to recognize individual member for outstanding contribution to professional education.
  • 1965:
    • PGA National Office moves from Dunedin to Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.
    • PGA of America employs first director of education.
    • Emil Beck, Port Huron, Michigan, first Horton Smith Trophy recipient.
  • 1966:
    • On its 50th anniversary, membership in the PGA of America stands at 5,837.
    • Number of PGA sections remains at 34.
  • 1967:
    • PGA makes attendance at business school a requirement for membership.
  • 1968:
    • The first Club Professional Championship is held at Century Country Club and Roadrunner Country Club in Scottsdale, Arizona.
    • Tournament players form their own organization, the Association of Professional Golfers (APG).
    • Tournament players abolish APG and agree to operate as fully autonomous Tournament Players Division under supervision of a new 10-member Tournament Policy Board.
  • 1969:
    • Joseph Dey, executive director of the USGA is named the new commissioner of the Tournament Players Division (TPD).