Date: Jan. 22-23, 2017
Site: Linda W. Chapin Theater - Orange County Convention Center, Orlando, Florida
The PGA Teaching & Coaching Summit, the PGA of America’s largest educational event, began in 1988 in Dallas, Texas, as a forum for ideas and teaching methods. The biennial PGA Teaching & Coaching Summit evolved from indoor sessions (1988-2000) to outdoor classroom amphitheater at the PGA Center for Golf Learning & Performance (formerly PGA Learning Center) in Port St. Lucie, Florida; and a 2011 setting at the Faldo Golf Institute by Marriott in Orlando. Since 2013, the Summit has been hosted by the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando.
The Summit attracts nearly 800 professional attendees throughout the United States and in 2004 attracted participants from a record 13 countries.
The 15th PGA Teaching & Coaching Summit presented by OMEGA features presentations from many of the leading PGA/LPGA Professional instructors as well as renowned performance experts. Teaching segments will focus on Teaching and Coaching Juniors; The Short Game; Driver Instruction; Body Mechanics and the Future of Technology.
15th PGA Teaching & Coaching Summit presented by OMEGA
SUNDAY, JAN. 22, 2017
- 6:00 - 7:55 a.m. Check-In and Breakfast
- 8:00 - 8:10 a.m. Welcome - Suzy Whaley, PGA Vice President
- 8:10 - 9:15 a.m. Mike Adams and Dr. Scott Lynn “Understanding and Developing Ground Reaction Forces”
- 9:20 - 10:30 a.m. Henry Brunton and Rick Jensen “Developing a World-Class Junior Program”
- 10:30 - 11:00 a.m. Break
- 11:00 a.m.-12:10 p.m. Michael Jacobs, “Elements of a Golf Swing”
- 12:10 - 1:05 p.m. Lunch
- 1:10 - 2:15 p.m. James Sieckmann “The Art of Coaching Wedge Performance”
- 2:20 - 3:20 p.m. Panel No. 1: Driver Instruction, Increasing Distance; Sandy LaBauve, Randy Smith, Andrew Rice; Michael Haywood – Moderator
- 3:20- 3:45 p.m. Break
- 3:50 - 5:15 p.m. Todd Sones and Kevin Weeks “Teaching Putting”
- 5:15 – 5:20 p.m. Closing comments
- 5:20 - 7:00 p.m. PGA Magazine Reception
MONDAY, JAN. 23, 2017
- 6:30 - 7:55 a.m. Breakfast
- 7:55 - 8:00 a.m. Welcome - Sponsor Recognition
- 8:00 - 8:40 a.m. Dr. Bhrett McCabe “Excellence in Teaching”
- 8:45 a.m.-9:25 a.m. GolfTec, “Swing-TRU Motion Study” – Nick Clearwater
- 9:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Panel No. 2: “Faults and Fixes” Dana Rader, Brady Riggs, Brad Redding; Krista Dunton - Moderator
- 10:30 - 10:55 a.m. Break
- 11:00 - 11:55 a.m. Dr. Mike Duffey and Eric Handley “Ground Forces and their Impact with Body Mechanics”
- 12:00 - 12:45 p.m. Dave Phillips “The Future of Technology in Coaching”
- 12:45 - 1:40 p.m. Lunch
- 1:45 - 2:40 p.m. Panel No. 3: “Building a Golf Factory: Creating New Golfers” Tony Martinez, Chris Carpenter, Matt Reagan; Rick Murphy - Moderator
- 2:45 - 3:45 p.m. Todd Anderson and Randy Myers Live Lesson: “Connecting Your Body to your Swing”
- 3:45 - 4:05 p.m. Break
- 4:05 - 5:15 p.m. Cameron McCormick, “Building a Champion”
- 5:15 - 5:25 p.m. Closing Comments - Paul Levy, PGA President
The PGA TEACHING & COACHING SUMMIT – Through the Years
Year Theme (Site)
- Inaugural-1988 New Frontiers in Golf Instruction (Doubletree Hotel, Dallas, Texas)
- 2nd-1990 Applying Teaching Techniques (Opryland Hotel, Nashville, Tenn.)
- 3rd-1992 Covering the World of Teaching (San Francisco Hilton, San Francisco, Calif.)
- 4th-1994 A Blueprint for Teaching Success (Hyatt Regency/Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans, La.)
- 5th-1996 A Hands-On Experience (Hyatt Regency/Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans, La.)
- 6th-1998 Fit to Teach, Fit to Learn, Fit to Play (Hyatt Regency/Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans, La.)
- 7th-2000 Teaching: Our Bridge to the New Millennium (Hyatt Regency/Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans, La.)
- 8th-2002 Hands-0n Teaching for Better Learning (PGA Learning Center, Port St. Lucie, Fla.)
- 9th-2004 The Power of the Individual Instructor (PGA Learning Center, Port St. Lucie, Fla.)
- 10th-2006 Four Cornerstones of Golf Instruction (PGA Learning Center, Port St. Lucie, Fla.)
- 11th-2008 Leading Instructional Growth into the Future (PGA Learning Center, Port St. Lucie, Fla.)
- 12th-2011 Getting Results Faldo (Golf Institute by Marriott, Orlando, Fla.)
- 13th-2013 Where Communication Meets Excellence (Orange County Convention Center, Orlando, Fla.)
- 14th-2015 A Lifetime Learning Experience (Orange County Convention Center, Orlando, Fla.)
- 15th-2017 The Pursuit of Excellence (Orange County Convention Center, Orlando, Fla.)
15th PGA Teaching & Coaching Summit Committee
Bill Hulbert, PGA Co-Chair
PGA Teaching Professional
PGA Superstore, Irvine, Calif.
Tony Martinez, PGA Co-chair
PGA Director of Golf
Keeton Park Golf Course, Dallas, Texas
Todd W. Anderson PGA Director of Instruction, PGA Tour Learning Center, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.
Krista Dunton PGA Director of Instruction, Berkeley Hall Club, Bluffton, S.C.
Ted Eleftheriou PGA Assoc. Golf Administrator, PGA Headquarters, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
Michael Haywood PGA Director of Golf, Tucson (Ariz.) Country Club
Sandy LaBauve PGA Teaching Professional, Kierland Golf Club, Scottsdale, Ariz.
Dawes Marlatt PGA Senior Director, Education & Employment – PGA Headquarters, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
Rick Murphy PGA Director of Instruction, Rick Murphy Golf Academy, Greensboro, N.C.
Brad Redding PGA Director of Instruction, International Club of Myrtle, Murrells Inlet, S.C.
Todd Sones PGA Director of Instruction, Todd Sones Impact Golf Staff, Vernon Hills, Ill.
Shaun Webb PGA Director of Instruction, David Toms Golf Academy, Shreveport, La.
Kevin Weeks PGA Director of Instruction, Cog Hill Golf & Country Club, Lemont, Ill.