Receive information from PGA.com about current and future features and offers.
Thank you for signing up to receive information from PGA.com about current and future features and offers.
20 Questions with Denis Watson
1. Favorite course in the U.S.?
Harbour Town Golf Links, Hilton Head Island, S.C.
2. Favorite golf hole in the U.S.?
14th hole at The Ocean Course, Kiawah Island (S.C.) Golf Resort. (Note: Watson birdied it to take the lead for good in last year's Senior PGA Championship.)
3. Favorite course outside the U.S.?
Old Head Golf Links, Kinsale, Ireland
4. Favorite golf hole outside the U.S.?
The fourth at Old Head.
5. What age were you when you first broke par for 18 holes? What did you shoot and where?
I was 16 and it was at Sherwood Country Club in Rhodesia.
6. Favorite golf course architect?
7. Best shot of your career?
My 4-iron on Sunday at the 14th hole at Kiawah Island last year.
8. One mulligan you'd like to have?
My putt at the eighth hole in the second round of the 1985 U.S. Open at Oakland Hills. (The putt hung on the lip for more than 10 seconds, leading to a one-shot penalty; Watson finished a shot behind winner Andy North.)
9. Oldest club in your bag?
Driver (three years)
10. If you weren't a professional golfer, what would you be?
A trial lawyer
11. Who would be in your dream foursome, golfers?
Bobby Locke, Bobby Jones and Ben Hogan
12. Who would be in your dream foursome, non-golfers?
Jesus Christ, Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln
13. All-time favorite movie?
14. Favorite musician or group?
15. Favorite sporting event, non-golf?
16. Favorite sports team?
Springbok rugby team
17. Favorite male athlete?
18. Favorite female athlete?
19. Who would you buy a ticket to watch?
Roger Federer at Wimbledon
20. Best golf book you've read that's not written by you.
"Golf In The Kingdom" (by Michael Murphy)
This story appears courtesy of the 70th Senior PGA Championship Journal.