Jay Haas will be going for his third Senior PGA Championship title in four years. (Photo: Getty Images)
20 Questions with defending champion Jay Haas
1. Favorite view in golf?
Walking up to any green just after you've hit an iron shot to a foot.
2. Favorite golf hole in the U.S.?
No. 8 at Pebble Beach.
3. Favorite course in the U.S.?
Harbour Town Golf Links, Hilton Head, S.C.
4. Favorite course outside the U.S.?
5. Favorite golf hole outside the U.S.?
No. 16, North Berwick, Scotland.
6. Favorite vacation destination?
Pawleys Island, S.C.
7. What's better about the game now compared to when you were young and just learning to play?
Back then, Uncle Bob (Goalby, the 1968 Masters champion) would give me some balls now and then, but I'd have to go off to the side or into the weeds and look for balls. I don't hunt for golf balls anymore.
8. Best shot of your career?
The putt at the 18th hole at the first Senior PGA Championship I won in 2006. It was a birdie putt that I knew I had to have, thought it might have won it when I made it but ended up putting me in the playoff.
9. One mulligan you'd like to have?
My drive at the 18th hole at Oak Hill on the last day of the 1995 Ryder Cup.
10. Favorite meal?
I don't have them very often, but good chicken gizzards are hard to beat.
11. Any golf superstitions?
I always mark my ball on the green with an English penny.
12. Who would be in your dream foursome, non golfers?
John F. Kennedy, Will Smith and Annette Benning.
13. Who would be in your dream foursome, golfers?
My two sons and my uncle, Bob Goalby.
14. Favorite musician or group?
The Rolling Stones.
15. Favorite sporting event, non-golf?
NCAA basketball Final Four.
16. The one show you have to TiVo when you're on the road?
It used to be “24,” but I kind of lost interest in it. Now I guess there's nothing I can't live without.
17. Favorite female athlete?
18. Favorite male athlete?
19. Favorite sports team?
Any sport Wake Forest is competing in.
20. Men's college basketball: As a Wake Forest guy, who are you rooting for when the rest of the country is making a big deal over Duke-North Carolina?
I proclaim neutrality. But whenever one of those two loses a game, I'm OK with it.
This story appears courtesy of the 70th Senior PGA Championship Journal.