Palmer out of hospital, back at Bay Hill after stay to check blood pressure

Arnold Palmer at Bay Hill
Getty Images
Arnold Palmer was feeling good at Bay Hill last week before his brief hospitalization.
Associated Press

Series: PGA Tour

Published: Monday, March 26, 2012 | 6:05 p.m.

Arnold Palmer is out of the hospital and back at work.

A spokesman for the tournament named for the golfing great says Palmer was released Monday morning. The 82-year-old Palmer had been hospitalized overnight in Florida as a precaution because of high blood pressure from new medication.

pokesman Bev Norwood said Palmer returned to his office Monday and planned on having dinner at the golf club.

Palmer was absent at the 18th green at Bay Hill on Sunday when Tiger Woods won the Arnold Palmer Invitational. Palmer had been advised to monitor his blood pressure throughout the day. A test about 15 minutes before the tournament ended showed an increase in his blood pressure.

"Nobody is overly concerned about the prognosis," said Alaistair Johnston, vice chairman at IMG and Palmer's longtime business manager, on Sunday when he was hospitalized as a precaution.

Johnston said Palmer had been advised to monitor his blood pressure throughout the day because of some issues with new medicine he was taking. He said one last test about 15 minutes before the tournament showed an increase in blood pressure.

"It wasn't anything to do with any ailments or any discomfort he felt," Johnston said. "The blood pressure was at a level where the doctor involved suggested that he go immediately to get more intensive evaluation at the hospital."

His absence was noticeable. One of the biggest thrills at the Arnold Palmer Invitational is to have The King standing behind the 18th green, waiting to congratulate the winner. Woods won for the seventh time, this time without being able to share a handshake and a hug with Palmer.

"Get well soon, Arnie," Woods wrote at the end of a tweet.

Graeme McDowell, who played in the last group with Woods and finished five shots behind, noticed immediately that Palmer in his pink shirt wasn't at the 18th at Bay Hill.

"I was surprised to see him not around, and when we just heard the news on the side that he had been taken to the hospital, of course we were very upset and certainly praying that everything is going to be OK," McDowell said. "That really puts a little bit of a damper on the spirits on 18th green when Tiger is going to pick up his trophy."

Sam Saunders, Palmer's grandson, tweeted, "For all concerned my granddad is doing fine and will be good to go tomorrow. Thank you for all of your nice comments and concern."