History of Quail Hollow Club

On April 13, 1959, James J. Harris hosted a meeting at Morrocroft Farm that marked the formal beginning of Quail Hollow Club. On December 18, 1959, the 21 Founders of the Club executed the Club's Certificate of Incorporation, which was filed on January 4, 1960 to officially constitute the Club. The first 90 members of the Club were designated its Charter Members.

Located at 3700 Gleneagles Road in Charlotte, NC, Quail Hollow Club is one of the finest courses in the southeastern United States. The course was originally designed by famed golf course architect George Cobb in 1961 to capture the beauty as well as challenging terrain of the Piedmont region. In the intervening years, the course underwent a series of improvements, including modifications of several holes by Arnold Palmer in 1986, and a redesign by Tom Fazio in 1997 and 2003. 

Quail Hollow Club has two signature holes. The par-4 14th is a dogleg left that can be driven with a good tee shot. It measures 346 yards from the pro tees. A 15-acre lake frames the left side of the hole and the rough on that side slopes down to the water. The narrow landing area measures about 27 yards across and is guarded with two bunkers on each side. The two-tiered green is long and narrow with about 7,100 square feet of putting surface. Two more bunkers guard the left front and middle of the green, and a collection area waits just off the right front of the green for short approach shots hit off line, or almost perfect drives. The area immediately left of the green slopes severely down 15 feet to the lake, so anything hit left has a very good chance of ending up in the hazard. 

The 17th hole is a 221-yard par 3 over water. A rock wall rings this part of the lake and borders the left and front of the green. The tee shot must carry the water hazard, and a bunker that protects the center. The 6,500-square-foot green is undulated, and on the left side there is only six feet between the edge of the putting surface and water hazard. On the right lies a closely mown collection area for errant shots. The water will be the collection area on the left.