New PGA Golf Management University Program scholarships available
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. – The PGA of America has announced that it will award five new PGA Golf Management University Program scholarships for the 2018-19 academic school year through PGA WORKS.
The PGA WORKS-branded workforce diversification effort desires to evolve the demographic composition of the golf industry’s workforce and the PGA of America’s Membership. The $8,000 scholarships are designed to improve the recruitment and retention of talented and driven individuals from diverse backgrounds pursuing PGA Membership through the 18 accredited PGA Golf Management University (GMU) Programs nationwide. Preference will be given to people of color and to women.
“We are proud to award the new PGA Golf Management University Program scholarships to the next generation of PGA Members, as they pursue their studies at our PGA-accredited college academic programs nationwide,” said PGA President Paul Levy. “It’s vital to our mission that we evolve the demographic composition of our PGA Membership, so that it’s more reflective of the demographic composition of America. Our ability to grow the game and ensure our PGA Members’ relevancy hinges upon it.”
To ensure success and perpetuity of the program, as well as objectivity in the selection process, the PGA has retained Scholarship America as third-party administrator. Scholarship America is the nation's largest designer and manager of scholarship, tuition assistance and other education support programs for corporations, foundations, associations and individuals.
Applications must be submitted via scholarsapply.org/pgaworks on or before Feb. 28, 2018, with recipients being announced in April. Scholarship recipients will be selected on the basis of:
• Academic record
• Demonstrated leadership and participation in school and community activities
• Honors and work experience
• Statement of goals and aspirations
• Unusual personal or family circumstances
• An outside appraisal
• Demonstrated active participation in the game of golf
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
• Plan to enroll fulltime or pursuing fulltime undergraduate studies at a PGA Golf Management University Program at one of 18 PGA-accredited academic institutions for the entire 2018-2019 academic year, with the intent to pursue PGA of America Membership (see list of schools below).
• Be a U.S. citizen, resident alien or temporary resident alien.
PGA Accredited Golf Management University Programs:
• Campbell University
• Clemson University
• Coastal Carolina University
• Eastern Kentucky University
• Ferris State University
• Florida Gulf Coast University
• Methodist University
• Mississippi State University
• New Mexico State University
• North Carolina State University
• Penn State University
• Sam Houston State University
• University of Central Oklahoma
• University of Colorado Colorado Springs
• University of Idaho
• University of Maryland Eastern Shore
• University of Nebraska, Lincoln
• University of Nevada, Las Vegas