7 Reasons to Play Golf with Your Family this Holiday
Even though the holiday season is in full swing and the year is drawing to a close, it doesn't mean there isn't value in spending one more day on the golf course as a family. Whether its children, siblings or even just good friends, there's plenty of cheer to be found on the golf course this year.
Here are our top seven reasons for playing golf this holiday season:
- Begin a New Tradition – Traditions and the holiday season are synonymous. Start a new tradition this year by establishing an annual family golf outing. Depending on the size of your family, you can play a variety of formats ranging from best ball, the Texas Scramble, or even bingo, bango, bongo.
- Out of Town Guests – When out-of-town guests arrive -- grandma and grandpa, aunts and uncles, and an array of cousins – it a great way to get everyone out of the house (and away from the TV), getting some exercise and fresh air!
- Beat the Crowds – During the holiday season, golf courses are typically a bit slower – which means ideal playing conditions for those new golfers and junior golfers as well. Those new to the game can relax and not feel as rushed as they may feel during the golf’s peak season.
- Free Time – Kids are off from school a minimum of 2 weeks and parents often have a day or two extra off from work, so finally, you have time available for things you really want to do!
- Changing Weather – If you live in a cold weather climate, the holiday season may be one of the last times you’ll be able to hit the course this year. And according to 2015 holiday season weather forecast, most of the country is projected to be unusually warm. Perfect!
- Great Exercise – Most people don’t realize that golf is actually a good source of physical activity. When walking, the average person burns approximately 333 calories (which is not bad considering the all the gingerbread cookies, eggnog and other holiday treats which are so abundant this time of year).
- Great Deals on Tee Times – It is a great time to take advantage of special incentives on green fees! Many courses are offering incredible deals this time of year and many allow juniors to play free!
Written by Marc Haddad, founder of PGA Junior Golf Camps, father to three young, active kids, and a lifelong golf enthusiast who believes in creating golf-centered activities for the promotion of family unity and bonding!