PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. — PGA Junior League Golf All-Star Teams Alabama and Texas have won the final two regional competitions to advance to the PGA Junior League Golf National Championship at Grayhawk Golf Club, in Scottsdale, Arizona, Nov. 19-21.
Team Alabama, of Huntsville, captured the Mississippi Valley Regional, while Team Texas, of Cedar Park, captured the Southwest Regional, both with 3-0 records.
Below are results from the Mississippi Valley and Southwest Regionals, held Oct. 1-2:
Mississippi Valley Regional – Oak Tree Country Club (Edmond, Okla.)
First Place – Team Alabama – Huntsville A All-Stars (3-0 record, 27.5 total points)
Second Place – Wedge Masters All-Stars (1-1-1 record, 16.5 total points)
Third Place – Murfreesboro All-Stars (1-2-0 record, 13 total points)
Fourth Place – Northwest Arkansas All-Stars (0-2-1 record, 15 total points)
Southwest Regional – New Mexico State University Golf Course (Las Cruces, N.M.)
First Place – Team Texas – Twin Creeks All-Stars (3-0 record, 30 total points)
Second Place – Albuquerque 2 All-Stars (1-2 record, 16 total points)
Third Place – Denver South All-Stars (1-2 record, 13 total points)
Fourth Place – Amarillo 1 All-Stars (1-2 record, 13 total points)
The PGA Junior League Golf National Championship features teams competing in East vs. West matches and using a two-person-scramble format, where coaches are allowed to substitute players every three holes, so that all team members can participate. Four of the eight teams are repeat qualifiers from last year’s Championship, including Georgia (placed second in 2015), New Jersey (placed third in 2015), Ohio (placed fourth in 2015), and Connecticut (placed seventh in 2015).
Below are the eight Regional Champions competing in the 2016 PGA Junior League Golf Championship, including the home golf facilities of each from the regular season:
• Northeast – Team Connecticut (all participants are from Suzy Whaley Golf Academy in Cromwell, Conn.), captained by PGA Secretary Suzy Whaley, PGA, LPGA
• West – Team California (all participants are from Las Positas Golf Course in Livermore, Calif.), captained by PGA Professional Jeff DeBenedetti
• Southeast – Team Georgia (all participants are from Crooked Creek Club in Alpharetta, Ga.), captained by PGA Professional Tom Joyce Jr.
• Mideast – Team Ohio (all participants are from Mallard Creek Golf Club in Columbia Station, Ohio), captained by PGA Professional Jim Wise
• Midwest – Team Illinois (all participants are from Cog Hill Golf & Country Club in Lemont, Ill.), captained by PGA Professional Carol Rhoades
• Mid Atlantic – Team New Jersey (all participants are from Royce Brook Golf Club in Hillsborough, N.J.), captained by PGA Professional Anthony Latham
• Mississippi Valley – Team Alabama (participants are from Bocking Golf Academy at Burningtree Country Club in Decatur, Ala.; The Ledges in Huntsville, Ala.; Valley Hill Country Club in Huntsville, Ala.; and Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail at Hampton Cove in Owens Cross Roads, Ala.)
• Southwest – Team Texas (all participants are from Twin Creeks Country Club in Cedar Park, Texas), captained by PGA Apprentice Jeff Ronquillo.
To learn more about PGA Junior League Golf, visit PGAJLG.com.
Experts on the business and game of golf. The best coaching tips and latest golf news delivered straight to you. Sign Up to get the latest.