What We Learned from Reliving Rory McIlroy’s 2012 PGA Championship Win
Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland holds up the Wanamaker Trophy after winning the 94th PGA Championship at the Ocean Course on August 12, 2012 in Kiawah Island, South Carolina. Photo by Ross Kinnaird/Getty Images
Extraordinary circumstances afforded us a few more hours this year than we typically have to rewatch all the great moments from the PGA Championship, and while we remember 2012 like it was yesterday, rewatching it in its entirety reminded us of 5 things you may have forgotten.
- McIlroy won the 2012 PGA Championship by a record-setting 8 shots.
- The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island looked simply glorious
- McIlroy’s pitch shot on the 9th hole is certain to give all amateurs nightmares.
- McIlroy made almost every putt he looked at in the final round.
- We get to watch this matchup again in 2021 when the PGA Championship returns to Kiawah Island.
Take 10 minutes to watch every shot from Rory’s final round at Kiawah, and tweet us what you learned @pgachampionship.