Grow My Game
Get healthy, play golf!
Are you looking to be healthier and shed a few extra pounds? Then, golf is definitely for you! That’s because when you play 18 holes of golf you’ll:
- Walk approximately five miles, if you either carry a bag or use a hand/pull cart
- Burn 2,000 calories while walking or even 1,300 calories while riding in a golf car
- Typically take more than 10,000 steps, which meets the recommended guidelines for exercise from most physicians
- Reduce your blood glucose levels by 20 percent if you are young … 10 percent if you’re a middle-aged player … and 30 percent if you’re a senior
- Improve balance control — this is especially true for older golfers
While it’s certainly true that you could burn 1,300 calories through some other forms of exercise such as:
- Strength training for 2 hours and 45 minutes
- Aerobic activity for 2 hours and 10 minutes
- Jogging on a treadmill for 2 hours
Doesn’t playing golf sound like a lot more fun?
After all, with golf, you get to enjoy the social aspect of spending time with friends and family. Plus, the game offers tranquility, being outdoors with nature. And in today’s fast-paced world we live in, golf can reduce stress. Let the golf course be your sanctuary, where you can temporarily escape the pressures and stress from all of the other demands you face in life.
Source: Walker Research Group Report for the World Golf Foundation and Golf 20/20