A Step-by-Step Guide to Escaping Greenside Bunkers
Shots are saved and handicaps are lowered with a strong short game.
A downhill lie can create an extra challenge when you find yourself in a greenside bunker with trouble long. PGA Coach Jackie Riegle, Director of Player Development at Monarch Beach Golf Links, has a step-by-step guide to escape greenside bunkers next time your on the course.
- Place the ball in the front of your stance to give yourself an area behind the ball to catch enough sand to make sure you get no golf ball. The key is all sand, no golf ball.
- Aim left to give yourself space to hit through the ball. The goal is to get it onto the fringe and let it roll to the hole.
- Widen your stance, sit in a squat and shift your weight forward without rolling your shoulders back.
- Cup your lead wrist to create more of a bounce and a more lofted clubface.
- Make sure you swing out & down and make sure your lower body stays stable.
Check out Reigle execute the shot to perfection in the video above & be sure to visit PGA.com/Coach to find a PGA Professional to help you with your game.
Jackie K. Riegle
Director of Player Development & Marketing
Dana Point, CA
I have had the privilege of playing golf for over 30 years at junior, collegiate & professional levels. I served as Captain of the Varsity team at San Diego State years '07-'09 & played professionally on the Symetra-Road to the LPGA, Cactus, and Canadian Women's Tours years '10-'13. I was awarded as the Southern California PGA Women's Apprentice Player of the Year, 2015, the Metro Chapter Southern California PGA Assistant Golf Professional of the Year, 2019, and the Southern California PGA Player Development winner, 2020. I truly believe golf is for everyone and learning the correct fundamentals will set you up for lifelong success. My current offerings are – - On-Course Coaching from 8:30 am - 10:30 am Wednesdays, June 7, 14, 21 & 28 Thursdays, July 13, 20, 27 & August, 3 Wednesday, September 6, 13, 20 & 27 Tuesdays, October 3, 10, 17, & 24 Dates are subject to change based on access to the course. $150 per session - (4) sessions in each series (once-a-week sessions - $600 for the series) (4) students in each session/session - a proven method to improve your game - Golf for Beginners on Wednesdays from 4-5 pm. - Limited 1:1 coaching, please email me at email@example.com for more information Please visit www.monarchbeachgolf.com/theacademy/ to learn more about my offerings & register. Thanks!